Are you switching cell phones and don’t know how to save WhatsApp messages to another smartphone? Well, there are a few ways to do this. Currently, you can use an iCloud backup, local backup or a third-party program. So, if you want to learn how to use them, keep reading this article, here I will show you how to use all available methods for you to save WhatsApp messages on another phone.
Part 1. How to save WhatsApp messages from Android to Android.
Part 2. How to save WhatsApp messages from iPhone to iPhone.
Part 3. How to save WhatsApp messages between iPhone and Android.
Part 1. How to save WhatsApp messages from Android to Android
Table of Contents
- 1.1. Save messages to Google Drive Backup and restore on Android.
- 1.2. Save WhatsApp messages on Android via Local Backup.
On Android, there are two official methods to save WhatsApp messages: Google Drive backup or local backup. Here’s how to use each of these methods:
1.1. Save messages to Google Drive Backup and restore on Android
First, save WhatsApp messages to Google Drive by following these steps: open WhatsApp > Settings > Chats > Chat Backup > Backup.
Now, to save your messages on the other Android phone, link your Google account to the other phone and set up WhatsApp using the same number on the previous phone. Here is a step by step:
- First, uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp on the other phone;
- Then open WhatsApp and start setting up your account using the same phone number as your old cell phone;
- When prompted, tap “Restore” for WhatsApp to restore messages from backup saved in Google Drive;
- After WhatsApp restore messages, tap “Next” and your conversations will be on the new phone.
WhatsApp will start restoring media files (audio, video, photos and others) in the background after restoring text messages.
1.2. Save WhatsApp messages on Android via Local Backup
WhatsApp creates a local backup every day at 2am, they are stored for 7 days and they all have creation dates. Typically, the local backup file is in the /sdcard/WhatsApp/DataBases folder or in “Internal/Main Storage”.
To save messages on another Android phone, you will need to move the “WhatsApp” folder to the computer and then to the other phone. You can also use microSD card to move local backup to other phone.
- First, connect Android phone to computer via USB cable;
- Open file explorer and click device name;
Select the “WhatsApp” folder and drag it to another folder on your computer or desktop;
- Connect the other Android phone to the computer and open the file explorer;
- Now, now move the “WhatsApp” folder (from step 3) to your phone’s internal storage.
Then move the “WhatsApp” folder to the other phone, follow the steps to restore messages on it:
- First, uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp on your mobile;
- Do the initial setup (verifying your number, confirming the code received by SMS, etc…);
- When WhatsApp finds the local backup, tap “Restore”;
- Messages will be restored on mobile, after finished, tap “Next” and all conversations saved in local backup will be shown in the app.
Part 2. How to save WhatsApp messages from iPhone to iPhone
If you are using an iPhone and need to save WhatsApp messages on another iPhone, you can use iCloud or iTunes backup for that, check it out:
- 2.1. Using iCloud Backup
- 2.2. Using Backup in iTunes
2.1. Using iCloud Backup
An iCloud backup will allow you to link your Apple ID to the other iPhone and thus configure WhatsApp by restoring the iCloud backup. Here’s how to do it:
- First, check when WhatsApp was last backed up to iCloud. To do this, open WhatsApp > Settings > Chats > Chat Backup.
- If you don’t have a recent backup, tap “Back up now” and wait for the backup to be done.
- Once you have a backup, uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp on the other iPhone. Then, link your Apple ID account from the old iPhone to the other iPhone.
- Open WhatsApp and verify your account using the same mobile number.
- When prompted, restore messages by tapping “Restore chat history”.
- At the end, tap “Next” to complete.
2.2. Using Backup in iTunes
A second method to save WhatsApp messages on iPhone is iTunes. Unfortunately, unlike iCloud, iTunes only allows you to completely backup your iPhone and then restore it to the other iPhone.
Here’s how to do it:
- First, download and install the latest version of iTunes. Then launch iTunes and connect your iPhone to the computer.
- From the iTunes home screen, click the iPhone icon and go to “Summary”.
Select the “This Computer” option and click “Back Up Now”.
- After the backup is complete, connect the other iPhone.
- In the “Summary” tab, click “Restore Backup” and follow the iTunes instructions to complete the restoration.
It is important that you keep your iPhone connected during the entire backup and restore process. Once completed, you can view your WhatsApp messages on the other iPhone.
Part 3. How to save WhatsApp messages between iPhone and Android
When you need to save WhatsApp conversations on another phone with the same operating system, it’s very easy with a backup. However, if you need to save WhatsApp conversations between iPhone and Android, you need other methods, here they are:
- 3.1. Save WhatsApp messages from iPhone to Android
- 3.2. Save WhatsApp messages between iPhone and Android with Tenorshare iCareFone Transfer (Best Choice)
- 3.1. Save WhatsApp messages from iPhone to Android
If you have WhatsApp on iPhone and need to save messages on Android without any third-party apps or software, you need to have a Samsung with Android 12 or higher and follow these steps:
1. iPhone using a USB-C to Lightning cable (or equivalent adapters);
2. Once connected, open WhatsApp on Android and a QR code will be shown on the screen;
3. Take your iPhone, open WhatsApp and then go to Settings > Chats > Move Chats to Android and scan the QR code;
4. When prompted, tap “Start” and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the message transfer.
Now, after following the above steps, WhatsApp messages will be moved from iPhone to Android. It is important that you do not use both devices while messages are being transferred.
3.2. Save WhatsApp messages between iPhone and Android with Tenorshare iCareFone Transfer (Best Choice)
As seen above, unfortunately there is still no official method to save WhatsApp messages between iPhone and Android – at least not a method available to all users, only Samsung users running Android 12.
So if you want to save WhatsApp conversations between iPhone and Android, you will need to use a third-party program for that, one option is Tenorshare iCareFone Transfer . iCareFone Transfer makes it very easy to transfer WhatsApp conversations between iPhone and Android, everything can be done with 1 click and it is compatible with all major devices and versions of Android and iOS operating systems.
Here’s how to use it:
1. First, download and install iCareFone Transfer on your computer. Once installed, launch the program and click “WhatsApp” on the main interface.
2. Connect iPhone and Android to computer. If the program does not detect the device, click “Is the device connected but not recognized?” and see what to do. All very well? Click on “Transfer”.
3. iCareFoneTransfer will start backing up WhatsApp data on the source device. Keep the devices connected and wait a few minutes for it to complete.
4. Now, after making the backup, you will be asked to verify the WhatsApp account. Therefore, enter your number in the indicated field and click on “Verify”. Then enter the code received by SMS and click “Verify”.
5. After successful verification, the program will generate the WhatsApp backup data and start transferring it to the target device.
6. When complete, the screen below will be shown with instructions on what to do next.
If you followed all the steps correctly so far, then you can now view your WhatsApp messages on the other phone. In addition to transferring WhatsApp between iPhone and Android, Tenorshare iCareFone Transfer program can be used to transfer WhatsApp messages from Android to Android and iPhone to iPhone with 1 click.
In conclusion, the article presented all the methods available to save WhatsApp messages on another cell phone. As seen, a backup is an option when you are moving to a device with the same operating system. On the other hand, save WhatsApp messages between iPhone and Android, the best choice is Tenorshare iCareFone Transfer , which allows you to easily transfer WhatsApp between iPhone and Android, iPhone to iPhone and Android to Android.